Sections of the Arizona Department of Public Safety
Spearheading the AZDPS operations, Colonel Jeffrey Glover brings his experience and leadership to the role of Director. The Department is segmented into various divisions, each playing a critical role in maintaining the safety of the state. Let’s delve into the major sections:
- Agency Support Division: Under the command of Lt. Colonel Jenna Mitchell, this division supports the logistical, administrative, and financial aspects of the department’s operations.
- Criminal Investigations Division: Led by Lt. Colonel Daven Byrd, this division is responsible for conducting thorough investigations into crimes within the jurisdiction.
- Highway Patrol Division: Managed by Lt. Colonel Timothy Chung, this unit is at the front line of road safety, managing traffic control, accident investigations, and roadside assistance.
- Technical Services Division: Headed by Lt. Colonel Deston Coleman, this division provides technical assistance, including communication and IT support, to the department.
- Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Task Force Division: Inspector Andres Vasquez oversees this division, ensuring the safety and compliance of commercial vehicles on Arizona’s highways.
History of the Arizona Department of Public Safety
The Arizona Department of Public Safety was formed on July 1, 1969, by the merger of the Law Enforcement Division of the Department of Liquor Licenses and Control, the Arizona Highway Patrol, and the Narcotics Division of the Department of Law. The amalgamation was an executive decision by Governor Jack Williams to enhance law enforcement’s effectiveness. Since its inception, the Department has expanded both in terms of personnel strength and areas of jurisdiction, currently serving an estimated population of 7.3 million.
How the Arizona Department of Public Safety Serves the Area
The Arizona Department of Public Safety carves out a powerful presence across Arizona. It stands as a guardian, maintaining vigilance and enforcing order, becoming an integral part of community life. The AZDPS engages with local communities, displaying an unparalleled commitment to public safety. This commitment is evident in the recent interoperability exercise conducted in Pima and Pinal counties, ensuring seamless communication and coordination between public safety agencies.
Furthermore, the Department is not just about enforcement; it prioritizes proactive engagement with the community. This can be seen in their active alerts for missing subjects, a service that signifies their profound commitment to the community. This active engagement also involves liaising with the public to solve crimes, as was the case with the recent arrest of a suspect involved in a fatal hit-and-run.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety embodies the principles of state law enforcement. The department remains steadfast in ensuring the safety and well-being of the citizens it serves, with a focus on community engagement and collaboration. The dedicated officers, both civilian and sworn, make a significant contribution towards making Arizona a safer place to live, work, and visit.
2102 W Encanto Blvd, Phoenix, Arizona, 85009.
Click here to view Arizona accident reports.