Sections of the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles is helmed by a dedicated team of experts and professionals who oversee various units within the agency, each catering to unique facets of motor vehicle management.
- Audit Services Section: This division, based in the Tallahassee headquarters, deals with audit-related inquiries. They ensure that all motor vehicle-related practices in Florida comply with the appropriate state and federal regulations. They can be reached at 850-617-2910.
- IFTA and IRP Account Section: This section manages the IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) and IRP (International Registration Plan) account-related inquiries. They can be contacted at 850-617-3711.
- Driver License Services: Tasked with issuing and managing driver’s licenses, this division plays a crucial role in ensuring driver competence on Florida’s roads.
- Motor Vehicle Services: This section oversees vehicle registrations, emissions testing, and more, ensuring that all vehicles meet the required state standards.
- Dual Service Centers and Mobile Offices (FLOW): These facilities offer a blend of the services provided by Driver License and Motor Vehicle Services. The mobile offices bring these services closer to the residents of Florida.
History of the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Born from a merger of the Motor Vehicles Department and the Department of Public Safety in 1969 under the leadership of Governor Claude Kirk, the FDHSMV has grown to become an indispensable part of Florida’s governance infrastructure. Over the decades, this agency has been steadfast in its commitment to ensuring road safety, traffic rule enforcement, and driver competence, playing an integral role in maintaining the efficiency of Florida’s expansive road network.
How the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Serves the Area
The FDHSMV plays a significant role in shaping the transportation landscape of Florida, establishing a symbiotic relationship with the residents of the state.
One of the pivotal ways in which FDHSMV serves the area is through the implementation and enforcement of motor vehicle laws. This not only ensures safety on the roads but also educates the public about their responsibilities as motorists.
Moreover, FDHSMV extends its services to remote areas through its Mobile Offices (FLOW), a testament to its commitment to being accessible to all Floridians. By taking necessary services to the people, FDHSMV fosters inclusivity and ensures that all residents have the resources they need to safely navigate Florida’s roadways.
In addition, FDHSMV promotes convenience by offering certain services online, such as the learner’s permit test and the DATA course. This digital approach enhances accessibility, reduces waiting times, and allows residents to interact with the department from the comfort of their homes.
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles acts as the backbone of the state’s transportation system, constantly working to create a safer, more efficient, and inclusive environment for all road users in Florida.
Neil Kirkman Building, 2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 58, Tallahassee, FL 32399.
Click here to view Florida accident reports.