What Are the Different Divisions of the Garland Police Department?
The Garland Police Department is organized into various divisions, each performing specific duties and functions to maintain law and order in the city. They include:
- Patrol Division: This is the most visible division, responsible for patrolling the city and responding to emergency and non-emergency calls.
- Investigative Division: This unit conducts detailed investigations into major crimes like homicide, burglary, and theft.
- Community Services Division: This division works on strengthening relationships with the community through various programs and initiatives.
- Administrative Services Division: It provides necessary support to other divisions, including record-keeping and dispatch services.
- Special Operations Division: This division houses specialized units such as SWAT, K-9, and Traffic.
What Is the History of the Garland Police Department?
The Garland Police Department was established to provide public safety services to the growing Garland, Texas’ population. Over the years, the department has grown and evolved, adapting to the changing landscape of law enforcement and public safety. It has consistently made strides towards modernization, implementing technological advancements in its day-to-day operations and crime-solving efforts.
How Does Garland Police Department Serve the Community?
One of the notable initiatives of the Garland Police Department is the Garland Video Crime Watch (VCW) program. This program leverages the widespread use of private surveillance systems within the community. Residents and businesses voluntarily add their video systems to a map that can be utilized by officers and investigators to quickly canvas an area for possible video evidence in the event of a crime. This innovative program bridges technology and the community, helping the department quickly identify and recover critical video footage related to criminal investigations.
The department also demonstrates a proactive approach toward engaging with the community. For instance, the officers hold public meetings to interact with citizens, answer their questions, and address their concerns. This not only helps build trust between the police and the community but also enables the police to gain valuable insights into the needs and issues of the community.
The Garland Police Department demonstrates a strong commitment to the principle of transparency. In instances where their conduct is in question, they welcome external investigations and are open to scrutiny. An example of this is their recent investigation into a viral video showing a Garland officer’s interaction with a student at a local high school. The department’s dedication to public service, openness, and community engagement helps ensure a safe and secure environment for the residents of Garland, Texas.
Address: 200 N. Fifth St., Garland, TX 75040
Click here to view Garland accident reports